Using an occupational health and safety management system (OHSMS) provides companies with the opportunity to better manage, control, and improve health and safety performance. The ISO 45001 standard offers a widely recognized framework for creating an effective OHSMS—one that helps companies to:
- Identify and control health and safety risks
- Reduce the potential for accidents
- Aid in legal compliance
- Achieve greater consistency and reliability
- Improve overall performance
Alignment with Other Standards
ISO 45001 contains elements that are designed to be compatible with the structures of ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 (under ISO Directive Annex SL 2013), allowing organizations to more easily align their OHSMS with other existing management systems. Recent food safety standards, such as FSSC 22000, also are structured in a similar Plan-Do-Check-Adjust framework. An aligned OHSMS helps companies to achieve improved and more reliable safety performance, while adding measurable business value.
Development & Implementation
Kestrel Tellevate has substantial experience developing and implementing custom OHSMS and fully aligned (i.e., with quality, environmental, food safety) management systems for industrial clients. We help companies deploy ISO 45001 into and across operations, with the goal of embedding it as a standard way of doing business. Our assistance ranges from guiding, coaching, and facilitating to more hands-on process and procedure documentation and training.
- Conduct working session and review relevant information to understand current scope of operations, safety management, and governance structure across the organization.
- Conduct gap assessment to evaluate the current (“as-is”) condition of the OHSMS against the desired (“to-be”) condition.
- Determine key components of the OHSMS to achieve business objectives and steps of the OHSMS implementation (design and facility deployment) to achieve those objectives.
- Identify a recommended OHSMS organization, roles, and responsibilities, including OHSMS design and implementation teams.
- Provide aspect/impact-driven review and development of operational work instructions
- Create a development and implementation schedule and recommended resource allocation.
- Provide relevant training, as appropriate.
Our goal is to work with our clients, not just for our clients, in helping to design and implement an effective OHSMS.