Areas of Expertise: EHS auditing; management systems (environmental, safety, quality); process optimization; environmental compliance; ISO 9001/14001/45001; OSHA safety programs; environmental site assessments
Education/Certifications: B.S. in Environmental Management, University of Maryland University College; A.S. in Boenvironmental Engineering Technology, Community College of the Air Force; Certified Environmental Auditor (CEA); Lead Assessor for ISO 9001/14001/45001
Anthony is an EHS professional with over 20 years of experience, both as an onsite program manager at the facility level and as a lead internal/external auditor. He has served as the EHS Manager responsible for the overall performance of EHS systems at multiple locations. As a consultant and audit lead, Anthony has worked for industry and government to conduct external, third-party environmental management system (EMS) conformance assessments, internal EMS conformance reviews, environmental compliance audits, occupational safety & health audits, safety management system (SMS) assessments, and quality management system (QMS) assessments. He takes a strategic and focused approach to optimize internal operations and financial returns.
Highlights of Anthony’s experience include the following projects:
- As Project Manager and Lead Auditor for the Bureau of Indian Affairs’ (BIA) Environmental Management Assessment Program (EMAP), managed and/or conducted over 80 annual EMAP audits. Work included conducting environmental compliance audits and EMS conformance reviews; managing audit schedules and audit teams; providing statistical analysis, audit trends, reports and recommendations; implementing performance improvements and innovative approaches; developing and conducting environmental compliance training; identifying root causes of compliance audit findings; and supporting SMS implementation.
- For Osage of Virginia, served as Project Manager and Lead Auditor for the BIA’s third-party environmental compliance auditing program, which included an internal audit of the facility’s EMS. Managed and/or conducted over 100 annual EMAP audits, provided statistical analysis of audit program results, recommended and implemented performance improvements, supported implementation of the SMS, developed Job Hazard Analysis (JHA) program, provided oversight for sustainable building assessments, conducted third-party external EMS audits, and developed an internal EMS auditing program.
- Implemented and managed Sustainable Strategies and ISO 14001 for the U.S. Army Garrison Fort Benning. Areas of responsibility included recycling/solid waste, green building, energy management, and community outreach/education, as well as support for the development and implementation of the ISO 14001 EMS. In addition, provided environmental compliance auditing and EMS training for cross-functional teams.
- Served as EHS Manager for an automotive supplier and printing/packaging facility. Essential duties included ensuring safety awareness/training for employees; accident investigation and reporting; maintaining OSHA logs; workers’ compensation management; OSHA safety programs; managing Title V air permits; developing and implementing safety and environmental policies and procedures; conducting EHS audits and inspections; conducting root-cause analysis and recommending corrective/preventive measures; conducting management system audits (ISO 14001, ISO 9001, OHSAS 18001/ISO 45001); leading Emergency Response and Safety Committee; and conducting activities/recordkeeping necessary for environmental compliance (i.e., storm water, air permitting, RCRA, DOT, SPCC).
- Provided oversight of EHS operations for an environmental consulting firm, which included developing/implementing programs and onsite inspection and monitoring for radiation safety, industrial hygiene, general safety, hazardous waste disposal, environmental protection, and fire safety for commercial government clients; establishing/implementing organizational gals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures; and monitoring/evaluating program effectiveness.
- Conducted Phase I environmental assessments, property condition assessments, asbestos inspections, air monitoring and abatements, and UST removals throughout the Southeastern U.S. (EPA Region IV).
- Provided cleanup of EPA Superfund sites throughout EPA Region IV.
- Conducted safety and environmental health inspections of industrial workplaces on Ramstein Air Force Base. Work included conducting industrial hygiene and environmental surveys; performing industrial hygiene activities including air sampling, IAQ, ventilation surveys, dosimetry, managing TLD program; collecting and testing potable water and performing stream and soil sampling/monitoring; conducting audits for air, Clean Water Act, hazardous materials, hazardous waste management, used oil management, pesticide management, PCBs, Safe Drinking Water Act, solid waste, SPCC, SARA, TSCA, UST management, wastewater, compressed air equipment, emergency action plans, fire prevention plans, fire safety, HAZMAT, radiation, machine guarding, PPE, and toxic and hazardous substances.