Areas of Expertise: Chemistry safety, regulatory compliance, hazardous waste management, emergency response, training, compliance assessments, EPA negotiations, and biological and chemical sciences.
Education/Certifications: B.S. in Biology, University of Northern Iowa; M. Ed. in Instructional Leadership, Graceland University; NAHMMA/SWANA certified trainer and member; 40-hour RCRA training; Iowa Fire Firefighter I/II and National EMT-B certification; NIMS 100, 200, 700 certification; 40-hour OSHA 1910.120 HAZWOPER and train the trainer certification’ 24-hour OSHA 1910.120 HAZWOPER and trainer certification; 8-hour Federal DOT hazardous materials training; DuPont hazardous materials management training course.
Becky is an environmental and safety compliance leader with nearly 30 years of corporate, academic, and governmental experience in chemistry safety, regulatory compliance, hazardous waste management, emergency response, training, compliance assessments, EPA negotiations, and biological and chemical sciences.
Becky has hands-on experience in hazardous waste management, hazardous waste site assessments, special waste identification and permitting, complex hazardous pharmaceutical disposal strategies, emergency response, risk identification and technical support. She is an expert in chemical risk management and environmental compliance, and has exceptional experience as an expert witness and in negotiating EPA and DNR penalty reduction. Further, Becky is adept in safety program management, training, and market development consultation.
Some of Becky’s previous career highlights include the following:
- Supported and guided clients in EPA hazardous waste compliance, including chemical risk minimization strategies, EPA fine negotiations, IFC Code compliance strategies, OSHA/DOT/EPA/DEA ongoing compliance support, OSHA/DOT/EPA training (e.g., HAZWOPER, asbestos special waste, RCRA compliance), and onsite regulatory audits.
- Negotiated EPA and DNR penalty reduction resulting in substantial savings of more than 50% in fines or elimination of fines, saving customers more than $1.3 million.
- Led EHS program for an Iowa university, resulting in the first compliance EPA inspection in over 20 years with no financial penalty, a 65% reduction in budgeted waste disposal costs, and improved training initiatives to help implement a campus culture of safety.
- Managed Iowa DNR statewide grant program for hazardous waste collection facilities supporting small businesses and residents; included technical support in the area of hazardous chemical management, high hazards risk evaluation for potential impact explosives and radioactives, and multi-agency regulatory coordination with EPA, DOT, DEA, and State Departments of Education, Public Health and Public Safety.
- Coordinated site hazardous waste disposal for an industrial grain laboratory, including tracking hazardous waste generation, documentation and organization for hazardous waste transport, classification of new waste types, and all associated EPA and DOT support documentation generation.
- Built a coalition between local, state and federal agencies and businesses to identify and properly dispose of legacy chemicals. Assessed more than 85% of Iowa community school districts, removed more than 425,000 pounds of acutely toxic, highly hazardous legacy chemicals, conducted more than 100 onsite detonations to destroy chemicals that were too unstable to move, and disposed of radioactives and controlled substances from more than 190 schools. Received a Governor’s Award and and EPA Honorable Mention for the program.
Becky is also a professional speaker/trainer with extensive experience in training on the technical aspects of EPA, OSHA, and DOT compliance and chemical risk minimization. She is a North American Hazardous Materials Managers (NAHMMA) and Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) certified trainer. She has provided training/instruction in the following:
- EPA RCRA compliance
- EPA advanced RCRA compliance
- DOT triannual training
- OSHA 24-hour HAZWOPER
- OSHA 8-hour HAZWOPER
- OSHA compliance courses (e.g., bloodborne pathogen, hazard communication/global harmonization, energy control (lockout/tagout), confined space)
- EPA RCRA for healthcare
- Rehab the Lab
- IFC hazardous materials permitting