Areas of Expertise: EHS compliance audits and corrective action, EHS management systems, incident investigations, human factors analysis, quality management, safety training, risk management
Education/Certifications: M.S.in Zoology/Ecology, University of Wisconsin-Madison; Certified Safety Professional (CSP); certified Green Tier environmental auditor (WDNR), BEAC-recognized Auditor for ResponsibleAg
Jake is a Senior EHS Consultant with over 25 years of management experience in the areas of EHS, risk management, human resources, and facilities management. He has a talent for proactively identifying areas of potential liability for clients and communicating solutions to eliminate potential exposure.
As a Kestrel Tellevate Senior Consultant, Jake provides leadership for KTL’s EHS service offerings, as well as onsite senior-level compliance support to Kestrel’s industrial clients. This includes overseeing and performing EHS compliance audits and assisting with follow-up corrective action; developing, managing, and implementing EHS management systems and programs for clients; offering assistance with major incident investigations and conducting human factors analyses; providing training on OSHA safety-related topics; and ensuring that quality standards on project deliverables are met.
Jake brings a unique perspective to projects, having worked as an EHS Manager for a number of industrial companies. His background includes experience in the following areas:
- Managing all facets of EHS management and developing related policies/procedures to ensure compliance with OSHA, EPA, and state/local government agencies
- Managing safety, workers’ compensation, risk management, security, and environmental activities
- Writing strategic action plans and programs
- Auditing and inspecting facilities
- Conducting accident investigations and root cause analyses and facilitating corrective actions, prevention, and awareness to generate cost-saving measures
- Developing, implementing, and maintaining management system guidelines (i.e., ISO 9000, ISO 45001, ISO 14001, Responsible Distribution, RC 14001)
- Monitoring and analyzing loss information to determine exposures
- Developing and distributing safety and risk management educational and training programs and materials
- Participating in lean initiatives and Kaizen events to improve safety and housekeeping, and to reduce injuries
Jake has vast experience developing and implementing comprehensive, corporate-wide EHS programs. Some of his past project accomplishments include the following
- Developed and implemented a Behavioral-Based Safety (BBS) Program, Corporate Contractor Safety Program, and e-training system through SharePoint
- Facilitated first company-wide safety training for all facilities on all OSHA-relevant standards
- Implemented JHAs, changed PPE program, installed multiple engineered fall systems, and established industrial hygiene sampling strategy to improve safety and decrease costs
- Successfully implemented acquisition activities to bring two new facilities into the corporation
- Managed the development of Emergency Action and Response Plan and Business Continuity Plan
- Significantly reduced MOD rates, OSHA Incident rates, and OSHA Recordable injuries
- Established air permit monitoring and data management program to satisfy EPA and WDNR permit regulations
- Developed, implemented, and maintained preventive maintenance program within ISO 9000 guidelines
In addition, Jake serves as a Responsible Distribution Adviser for the National Association of Chemical Distributors (NACD), where KTL is a preferred provider of compliance services. In this capacity, he has been specifically trained in Responsible Distribution by NACD to provide in-depth support and assistance with the design and implementation of members’ Responsible Distribution programs and verifications. Jake also serves on the ChemEdge Planning Committee.