Education/Certifications: M.S. in Food Science, Kansas State University; Graduate Certificate in Food Safety & Defense, Great Plains Interactive Distance Education Alliance (GPIDEA); B.S. in Biology, University of Pittsburg; USDA HACCP Certified; FDA HACCP Certified; Lean Six Sigma Certified; Certified FSSC 22000 Lead Auditor
Jessica is a Senior Consultant with more than a decade of experience working in the food and beverage industry, with particular expertise in food safety and quality.
Prior to becoming a Consultant, Jessica was Area Food Safety & Quality Assurance (FSQA) Manager for US Foods’ West Region. She also served in a variety of quality and research roles for a number of other food and beverage companies, including Daisy Brand and HJ Heinz. Through her previous positions, Jessica has amassed a wealth of experience in food safety and quality to support GFSI certification efforts and regulatory compliance, and has successfully collaborated with USDA and FDA inspectors to resolve regulatory issues.
Highlights of Jessica’s experience include the following:
- Developed of corporate FSQA (Food Safety and Quality Assurance) policies to support GFSI certification and regulatory compliance
- Development and implementation of FSQA program (SOPs, SSOPs, cGMPs, and HACCP plan)
- Management and implementation of Food Safety Management System (FSMS), including fresh protein, RTE, and seafood manufacturing
- Successfully led 50 GFSI FSSC 22000 stage 1, stage 2, periodic, and recertification audits
- Staff development to ensure proper SSOP implementation and GMP and HACCP monitoring
- Has evaluated and completed product quality analysis, investigated customer complaints, implemented corrective actions for identified food safety and quality issues, including key metrics
- Developed and verified labels to ensure compliance for USDA, FDA, and Canadian products
- Coordinated and conducted analytical chemistry and microbiological testing to ensure food safety and quality requirements
- Developed and administered traceability systems
- Coordinated mock recalls
- Performed shelf-life and taste perception studies on final products
- Conducted validation studies to ensure effectiveness of food safety controls
- Conducted food safety and quality training for production and sanitation
Jessica is a member of the National Chicken Council, North American Meat Institute, American Meat Science Association, Institute of Food Technologists, Society for Applied Microbiology, Women in Foodservice Forum, and Women’s Initiative for Leadership Success.