Sarah Burton, CEA
Education/Certifications: M.S. in Chemistry, University of Michigan; B.S. in Chemistry & Russian Studies, Randolph-Macon Woman’s College; NREP Certified Environmental Auditor; Lean Six Sigma Green Belt; certified Green Tier environmental auditor (WDNR)
As a Senior Consultant specializing in EHS management and compliance assurance, Sarah has over 30 years of assessment, regulatory compliance, due diligence, and management system experience built on a solid technical background. She has provided strategic advisory services to numerous Fortune 500 companies to drive business value from EHS matters, including sustainability, risk management, and eco-efficiency. Sarah leverages Lean Six Sigma tools to further drive EHS improvements, when possible.
Sarah has provided a full range of corporate-level management services, including:
- Conducting hundreds of multi-media compliance audits for industrial clients across the U.S., Europe, Canada, Mexico, and China
- Structuring corporate sustainability programs, including identifying and implementing corporate reporting initiatives that add value and meet customer demands
- Developing and facilitating the implementation and improvement of ISO9001, ISO14001, and OHSAS 18001 management systems at numerous facilities, resulting in measured increases in business value through EHS improvements
- Helping develop web-based management systems
- Creating numerous regulatory compliance and management system guidance documents and training programs for topics ranging from management systems internal auditing to DOT hazardous materials compliance
- Designing and managing Phase I Environmental Site Assessment (ESA) programs in accordance with standards established by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), for commercial real estate, and for corporate risk management programs
In addition to her extensive regulatory auditing and due diligence experience, Sarah’s background also includes experience providing expert witness testimony, formulating SPCC and contingency plans, managing hazardous materials, preparing annual reports, conducting UST audits and upgrade analyses, and developing and managing in-plant chemical inventories. She has worked in the following industries: automotive suppliers and tire manufacturers, transportation, chemical distributors and manufacturers, pharmaceuticals, cement manufacturers, pulp and paper plants, refineries, foundries, food and beverage manufacturers, and many others.