Scott Ackerson, CEP
Areas of Expertise: International environmental regulations and compliance; 22 CFR 216 program development and implementation; healthcare waste management; ISO 14001/9001 management systems; National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA); health interventions and program management; compliance assessments and reviews; information management systems
Education/Certifications: M.A. in International Development – Public Health, Oklahoma City University; B.A. in Political Science – Public Health, University of Central Oklahoma; Certified Environmental Professional (CEP); certified in NEPA and RCRA hazardous and non-hazardous waste management
As a Senior Consultant, Scott has technical expertise in international environmental compliance and environmental system design, as well as 17 years of professional experience in managerial and strategic leadership supporting governments, private industry, and NGOs. He has led efforts to define and institutionalize a model for environmental compliance frameworks for government and non-government partners in health and safety. His experience includes developing environmental management systems (EMS) in the area general environmental hygiene, healthcare waste management compliance, infection prevention and control, and HIV/AIDS and malaria prevention.
Scott has in-depth knowledge of EHS management and sustainability regulations in the U.S. and abroad, including international regulations and agreements. Prior to joining KTL, Scott worked as an environmental compliance expert, focusing largely on international projects for government agencies. Highlights of this work included the following:
- Monitored and mitigated health care waste from entering the supply chain system; managed the development of related procedures; and supported a capacity-building, sustainable, and cost-efficient solution for focus countries.
- Drafted Environmental Compliance Systems (ECS), Health Care Waste Management Plans (HCWMPs), and Environmental Mitigation and Monitoring Plans (EMMPs).
- Managed the development of an environmental protection system.
- Conducted environmental assessments on numerous projects, including construction of a warehouse project in Mali and installation of an incinerator in Haiti.
- Managed portfolio projects in development of strategies, framework, and environmental systems for donor counterparts to strengthen environmental compliance (i.e. general hygiene, waste management, health and safety, WASH, supply chain system, etc.).
- Developed activity-level environmental documentation, including Initial Environmental Examination (IEE), Environmental Assessment (EA), Environmental Review (ER), Environmental Mitigation and Monitoring Plan (EMMP), and Environmental Study (ES), etc.
- Led efforts to define and institutionalize an appropriate model for environmental hygiene compliance systems (including health care waste management) to respond to the need for better environmental compliance and risk management, in addition to the necessities for light mission support, capacity building, sustainability, and cost-efficiency.
- Provided technical assistance for environmental health regulations, EMS, and related projects; performed environmental compliance audits and implemented guidelines and activities to ensure compliance with federal, national, and local regulations.
Scott’s diverse international work experience has led him to projects in Eswatini, Morocco, Tanzania, Namibia, DRC, Liberia, Mozambique, Vietnam, Ghana, Malawi, Haiti, Benin, Guinea, Rwanda, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia. A native English speaker, Scott also has language capabilities in Arabic (intermediate) and French (beginner).